Tuesday, July 08, 2008

A good day in bookland

So, even though I spent most of today staring at a computer screen and am mentally (from thinking too much about my various projects) and physically exhausted (from failing to get my new PC, monitor, and mouse into an ergonomic arrangement), there are three very good reasons to celebrate this evening.

1 - My literary fiction chapter doesn't need nearly as much work as I'd thought, and is progressing nicely.

2 - My first ARC from the LibraryThing Early Reviewers' program is here - Barbara Wood's Woman of a Thousand Secrets. I confess, I experimented a bit in requesting this book, as I'd never asked for one before, but the subject matter intrigued me: a woman in Central America before the time of Columbus tries to return to her birth people, which begins a great adventure in the land of the Maya. Since part of the algorithm for review copy distribution in LT is based on your existing LT holdings, and since I have a pretty sizeable historical fiction collection, I guessed that if I ever asked for a historical novel, I had a good chance of getting it. I was right. Voila. Unlike most places, LT encourages pre-pub reviews of these ARCs, so I'll be posting a review on LT (and copying it here) as soon as I'm able.

3 - The long-awaited ARC for Devil's Brood has arrived, complete with much improved jacket art. It's 734 pages long, weighs 2.25 lbs, and seems to be happy in its new home, so I don't see it going anywhere.

The books in (2) and (3) are currently numbers 4 and 5 in my TBR pile, after some more pressing commitments, unless I can manage to shuffle them around before my other reviews come due. I am very tempted to read (3) immediately...

Unfortunately, while I was typing this post, my black cat, Max, had a regurgitation accident all over the carpet. I think this is payback for gloating about the Penman ARC. Fair enough.

12 comments:

  1. I am so jealous that you have an ARC of Devil's Brood!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another one who is green with envy here! I would say the sun is shining very brightly on your patch of Bookland today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am jealous...but feel better that the cat got you back for us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll just add my note of envy to the pile about DEVIL'S BROOD. Can't wait to see your review...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, at least Max didn't upchuck ON the SKP ARC!!!

    Ooooh - another book to add to my birthday list :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heh, I do have to be pretty careful about my book piles these days. Max has been having these "issues" periodically and doesn't always have the time/inclination to move away from the books. He also has a preference for carpet over linoleum. Both ARCs are safely tucked away on a shelf!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jealous, jealous, jealous. And not of the cat regurgitation!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chloe (as you know) has similar issues and I have to hide my magazines from her. Especially the ones I've borrowed from the library! THAT would be difficult to explain *g*.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Poor Max! Give him a pat and keep him off the shelves!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would so love to have a copy of The Devil's Brood! You are being envied.

    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good news that Devil's Brood is on the way at last! Hope your cat gets better.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Max says thank you, although he's still upset with me for embarrassing him.

    ReplyDelete