Monday, November 06, 2006

Reviews of Obscure Books:
Diana Norman, Fitzempress' Law

Norman, Diana. Fitzempress' Law. New York: St. Martin's Press, 1980. 284pp. Also Hodder & Stoughton, 1980, 284pp.

Novels pass into obscurity for a variety of reasons - poor writing, low reader interest, small print runs, old age. But the reason, I suspect, that Fitzempress' Law is so hard to find has more to do with the author's excellent reputation as a medieval novelist. Aside from library editions, most copies reside in the hands of readers who won't give them up. This novel, Norman's first, has three major themes in common with her latest (Mistress of the Art of Death, 2007, written as Ariana Franklin), published 27 years later. Namely: rural life in 12th century England, as seen from the inside out; the plight of the Jews of Cambridge; and the judicial reforms of Henry II and their relevance to the modern world. I had no idea of the similarity of setting and subject when I decided to read the novels one after the other, but they make for a nicely matched pair. Their plotlines, however, are quite different.

In the present day, three 18-year-old hoodlums get thrown back in time after committing a crime against an eccentric old woman. She invokes a curse on the trio that the only way to save their souls will be through law. Now, in Henry II's England, each must find a way of using early medieval law to solve a major personal crisis. Len awakes in the body of Aluric of Tatchwerte, a village in the Hundred of Broadwater in Hertfordshire. Aluric is a swineherd who had been mute for many years, ever since the mysterious stabbing death of his older sister. He's charged with proving he was born a free man, which will allow him to fulfill his mother's dream of becoming a monk. Pete, who in his previous existence was a shy, unassertive type, enjoys his newfound status as Sir Roger of Mardleybury, a knight in service with Henry II's forces in France. Unfairly disseised of his hereditary lands, Pete must find a way of proving his right to his late father's manor. And Sal finds herself occupying the body of Hawise, a young gentlewoman whose betrothal was unfairly broken and who was forced into a nunnery against her will.

This isn't a typical time-travel novel, in that the characters spend remarkably little time exploring the differences between "then" and "now"; they're fully absorbed into the 12th century almost immediately. In fact, they find that their new circumstances, difficult and uncomfortable as they are, offer them much that their previous existence did not. Len, formerly an orphan, now has a mother and a home of his own, though Edeva practices "tough love" on her son, and their residence is a peasant's hut. As a leader of men, Pete develops self-confidence and a new sense of authority, and Sal, to her great surprise, finds serenity in the contemplative life of the cloister. If not for the fact that she must use the law to validate her betrothal, in order to break the curse, Sal as Hawise might well have taken her religious vows.

Norman's descriptions of medieval English life are breathtaking; there are so many distinctive, memorable scenes that bring the 12th century to vivid, sparkling life. One gets to experience the back-breaking but necessary task of farming the land, day in and day out, despite uncooperative soil and tired oxen. Besieging a French castle by gradually starving its residents into surrender. Surviving the harsh winters of rural Hertfordshire with only a meager fire and minimal food and shelter. Protecting the Jews of Cambridge in an era when Jewish moneylenders are despised for their wealth and their supposed uncleanness. And overshadowing everything is Fitzempress's fatal quarrel with Becket, an act for which the English can never forgive him - despite his numerous judicial reforms (which resulted in the modern jury system), his keen intelligence, and his wise counselors' general belief that Becket got what he had coming to him.

Norman presents the religious zeitgeist among the populace with delicious irony. Christianity exists side-by-side with an earthy paganism that refuses to die out completely. When another young girl is found stabbed in the forest, Tatchwerte's peasants blame the Wild Hunt, despite their knowledge that not naming a human murderer will result in their village being fined. The local cleric, Father Herve, is fortunately more forward-thinking:

Len said, "It's nonsense, this Wild Hunt business. A real person killed her. I've seen that knife before, I know I have. Where the hell was it?"
The priest just watched him.
"You don't believe it was the Wild Hunt, do you?"
"No," said Father Herve, "that's just heathenish superstition."
"Who do you think it was then?"
"The devil." (p.120)
Fitzempress' Law is full of these exchanges, conversations between characters that reveal who they are, what they believe, what they stand for. The initial time-travel plot device really isn't the point. Instead, I spent much of the time hoping that the trio would decide not to return to the 20th century, so much did I enjoy their experiences in their new lives - as much as I believe they themselves did. This is one of the best examples of medieval fiction I've come across. It deserves to be more widely available, but even if that won't happen, it deserves to be more widely read.

For other reviews in the Obscure Books series, see here and here.

16 comments:

  1. I like that quote :-)
    This sounds an interesting book. Do I gather that the characters retain their memories of their 20th-century lives while they're living in the 12th century? How do they manage to gain the necessary practical skills that they presumably wouldn't have learned in the 20th century (how to herd swine, how to ride a horse), or do they acquire those automatically along with their 12th-century personas?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:34 PM

    I thought I was the only one in the world who had ever read "Fitzempress' Law." It was a very authentic novel, once you got beyond the time travel thing, very well-researched!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The time-travel aspect didn't quite work for me. It was the main thing that didn't. The characters retained their 20th-c memories, but didn't think about their old lives much, presumably because they were so miserable before - though this didn't feel very realistic (if the concept of time travel ever can, that is). The language issue wasn't addressed, and they seemed to pick up practical skills well. No one remarked on their acting inappropriately, aside from a few times when they deliberately questioned the status quo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:19 PM

    I usually don't go for time travel, but this sounds intriguing. Have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If it helps, the time-travel part takes up only the first 4 pages. Aside from that, it might as well be a straight medieval novel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous3:31 PM

    Lol, so I can skip those first four pages? :)

    Sounds like a book I should hunt down.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not like they'd take all that much time to read :)

    It is hard to find nowadays, unless you want to pay the big bucks. Libraries are the best bet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read this from the library when I was in my twenties - 3 times! I should have obtained a copy back then. It's now getting on for 30 years since last I read that book and I've forgotten the specifics, but it was a favourite read back then. I have read other novels by Diana Norman since, and all have been excellent, but Fitzempress's Law remains the best. It was one of those books that fired me up when I was a wannabee :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've read many of her other books, but not this one. Hmmm, maybe I'll check to see if it's in the library system here. Plus keep an eye out at the local used book stores!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Elizabeth, I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed it so much. This one's tied with her Shores of Darkness for my favorite - very different styles, though. And Tess, if you see it in a UBS, grab it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous10:53 AM

    I just finished the book and really enjoyed it right up to the last line. Could someone, please, explain the last line to me where Granny Nash says "I crippled them."?

    I should be very grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's been a while since I reviewed this book so had to reread parts of it again. But I believe the last line means that she essentially took away the future they might have had, and gave them a different one.

    If someone else has a better interpretation, please shout.

    ReplyDelete
  13. it is a terrific book, and should be re-printed as part of a trilogy as her recent "Mistress of the Art of Death" and "The Serpent's Tale" (under her pseudonym, Ariana Franklin. And I have written just that suggestion to Penguin Canada. Do you know that "Fitzempress' Law" can be purchased for some $500???

    So, I managed to access a copy through interlibrary loan, and yes, it is a great book. So, I am crouched over a photocopier, and am page 65 so far. I cannot bring myself to steal that book from the library, so...

    ReplyDelete
  14. The prices are ridiculous, aren't they? I definitely agree it should be reprinted. In fact, I'd love to see all of Norman's earlier novels reissued.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Possibly too late for many of the commenters here, but Fitzempress' Law is now available on Kindle. I was interested in it, because Diana Norman's mother was a friend of my mother when we lived in Datchworth (Tatchwerte), and I used to babysit Diana and Barry Norman's kids.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Jan, that's excellent news! I hadn't realized it was available in e-format. It appears the Kindle version is limited to UK readers only since I can't see it (or her other titles from Canelo) for sale in the US. So probably a good thing I've been hanging on to my hardcover. :) That's neat that you knew her and her family personally. Thanks for dropping by and mentioning the e-versions - I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete