Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Happy Thanksgiving

Tomorrow's the big holiday, so I spent today with my bread machine, making a couple loaves of holiday bread and dipping into the fruitcake mix a little too often (it's bad for me, but there is real fruit in it).

I'm over halfway through my review book, and in the holiday spirit, I am giving thanks that nothing quite so odious has happened in Part 2. Yet. But because I'm also thankful that most other authors have a greater sense of decency - as well as a less, um, overstuffed writing style - I'll be putting this novel down for the interim and finding something more to my taste. I've picked out Kathleen Givens' On a Highland Shore, which a couple friends have recommended, and we'll see how that goes.

For the moment, though, we're settling in to see The Da Vinci Code on DVD. I still haven't read the book.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:05 AM

    I can practically smell that fresh baked bread! Sounds wonderful! I am hungry!

    My husband went to see the DVC (I have not seen the film or read the book) and he was shocked at the shoddiness of it from a theatrical point of view, considering what talents they had to work with. He said the scenes of Paris were great, though.

    Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed the film, although parts of it were so dark (okay, it was night for a lot of it, but still) that I had trouble seeing what was going on - and had to back up the DVD. Tom Hanks also looked old and tired, and I didn't buy him as Robert Langdon. (I did read Angels and Demons.) And the "female lead" (Audrey Tautou) wasn't much of one - she basically followed him around.

    Good points: the Frenchmen spoke French (with subtitles), there were some great visuals, and I liked how they re-enacted some of the historical scenes in the background.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:48 PM

    That is exactly what my husband said, too. And the historical flashbacks mixed true history with gross inaccuracies, which he found annoying.

    ReplyDelete