Saturday, October 21, 2006

An interesting birthday celebration

... Dress up like a 1950s-era librarian and march with a bunch of your similarly-dressed co-workers in the campus homecoming parade. The theme of our float (such as it was) was "Happy Days." Two student employees dressed as the Fonz and his girlfriend rode in a convertible and tossed candy to the crowd, while the Dean and Head of Reference marched ahead of them with a banner. The rest of us walked behind the car, carrying themed signs promoting the library. Over a two-mile route, from the campus to the courthouse downtown and back.

Does this count as historical?

10 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:16 AM

    Happy birthday! Pictures? (And I guess it is set far enough in the past to qualify.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!

    Here's one of me in my dowdy outfit. (No, I don't dress like this on a regular basis) I'm told all I needed was a pair of cateye-glasses to complete the picture. The library photographer took more pictures, but they're not back yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:59 AM

    Very cute, Sarah! I had a skirt just like that in college that had been from my grandmother's old chest of heirlooms - the preppie look was "in" again for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy (belated) birthday, Sarah!

    I'm assuming your parade didn't conclude like the one in "Animal House"!

    Librarians on the march, what a fantastic idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If the end of the parade was that dramatic, I wasn't there to see it! But the town cops made a point of keeping all the (mostly drunk) residents of the frat houses behind fences, so that they couldn't heckle the parade participants too much. Apparently there had been "incidents" such as this in past years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday!

    And, as the time period was from last century, I'd say it counts as historical. Barely, but okay.

    Cute picture.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks! And hmm, you're right, it is last century. I don't think of it that way for some reason, but it is.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Belated Birthday, Sarah! I like the outfit, but I'm glad you don't wear it regularly. {g}

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks! So am I {horrified look}

    :)

    ReplyDelete